What can I expect during my sessions?
Here’s how my approach is unique, and what to expect from working with me.
- I don’t believe in extreme fitness. That will only get you injured, and you want to be doing this for the long term. That doesn’t mean your workouts won’t offer you challenge – they just won’t be the extreme challenge type! Together, we will work on creating consistency with your exercise and movement, which is the best way to bring fitness into your life long term. Being consistent long term is the best way to achieve your goals.
- I am very methodical and I like to slow things down. This might be new to you if you’re used to high intensity classes, or high energy workouts. It’s only when you slow things down, that you really have the opportunity to pay attention to what the body is doing: notice which muscles are working (or not), and pick up on any incorrect movement patterns. Thus, at the start of our journey together, we will start slowly and mindfully. Then, as you begin to understand how your body works, and as we correct any areas of weakness and incorrect movement patterns, we crank up the volume!
- You get a training log with all of your workouts – TO KEEP! You get to keep everything we do together (workouts, handouts, recipes) so you can refer to them whenever you want!
- I believe in education. You will learn: why we are doing certain exercises, and why in that order; breathing techniques; proper posture and form; what muscles you are working; “good pain” vs “bad pain”
- I do what I say I’m going to do – because so many people don’t! If I say I’ll email you your workout, I will. If I say I will follow up with you on a certain day, I will. If I promise to bring a handout to our next session, I will. If you ask me a question, I’ll find the answer.
How can I get the most out of my sessions?
By signing up to work with me, you are making a commitment to change, and to improve certain areas of your life. Not to mention a financial investment. I want you to be successful and get what you came for. Here are some ways you can ensure success.
- Think about how you can make room in your schedule to exercise and move your body in a way that fits your lifestyle. This can be a combination of our sessions together, and activities you do on your own. A minimum of 4 times per week is recommended, but coming up with something consistent and that you can stick to long term is all that matters.
- You are coming to me to make changes. If you are not willing to make changes and to prioritize our work together, or if your schedule does not allow it, then the timing is not right for you to make this commitment.
- I require regular feedback and check-ins to hold you accountable. I will be messaging you as needed after certain workouts to see how you’re doing, and it’s important that you check in with your body and provide me with updates.
- I expect you to be accountable for your choices. I can only control what you do during our sessions together. I will give you the programs and tools to make you successful, but it is up to you, and only you, to follow them.
Which package should I go with?
Of course, it is ultimately your decision which package to go with. Below are my recommendations and what I’ve noticed over my years working with clients and human bodies:
If you are already fairly active, and are looking to spice up your exercise routine, then The Teaser Package or The Determined are excellent options.
The Go-Getter package is perfect for clients who are just starting out, aren’t sure where to begin, and need the time and guidance to learn and build strength.
Both The Determined & The Go-Getter packages include program updates and (for those who seek it) nutrition guidance. The Go-Getter package is the best price point and the optimal number of sessions for us to explore a multitude of aspects of fitness for a well-rounded experience.
How many times per week should I train with you?
All clients who start with me must commit to a minimum of once per week session frequency. Beyond that, my recommendations below simply come from the experience of seeing what has worked best for my clients over the years.
If you are getting started on an exercise program, I recommend a 2x or 3x per week frequency. There is a fairly steep learning curve when we get started, and meeting more often will solidify all the information and learning.
If you are looking for a boost in your exercise routine, then 1x per week may be sufficient.
You can also change your session frequency at any time during our journey together. You can start with a higher session frequency, then drop it down when you feel more confident and want to try things on your own.
Where will I have my sessions?
I conduct sessions out of my home studio in beautiful New Westminster. The studio is equipped with a treadmill, free weights, resistance bands, pull-up bar, TRX, mat area & workout bench. It is perfectly suited for one-on-one or partner training without the intimidating look and feel of a gym.
Depending on where you are located, we may be able to conduct our sessions in your home or building gym. Some clients prefer to exercise in their home as they have home gym equipment, and it saves them commuting time. Other clients want to learn how to utilize their building gym equipment, so conducting our sessions in their building gym makes sense for them.
Prior to us starting together, we will discuss which location would work best to conduct our sessions.
Ready to start your personal training journey?